The right combination of colors in an interior is a true art. Not all people have the perfect taste to choose shades of decor in harmony and in accordance with the interior style. An unmistakable combination of close shades and contrasting colours of the palette will help to know the basic rules and tables that are well known to professional designers and decorators.
Color combination theory and its application in interior design
Human organs of vision distinguish several million shades, but the main ones are four: red, yellow, blue and green. Mixing them, they get relatives, who in turn can also form the third order groups.
Application of shades even within one colour – from a light part of a spectrum to the most sated – allows to make registration harmonious, but colour combinations in an interior look more favourably. The best combinations are those which can be met in the nature: they seem natural and do not overload perception.
Interaction of colors in different types of interiors
Interior decoration in any style requires a thorough analysis of the expected color scheme. Based on your wishes and preferences, it is important not to make gross mistakes. The right choice of basic and additional colors will allow you to decorate the interior so that anyone present will feel harmony and get positive emotions.
From the main provisions of the correct color design, which is desirable to take into account when designing rooms in any style.
You can distinguish the following:
- It is necessary to define the basic color, which sets the general mood and will be the basic color for selecting additional shades.
- Correctly set the ratio of warm to cold tones depending on the size of the room and the orientation of windows on the sides of the world.
- Take into account the recommendations for the design of different living rooms: for the kitchen to choose a combination of colors, regulating the appetite, bedroom decorated in a quiet color palette, living room – in a cozy and comfortable to communicate.
- To endure combinations of colors in the interior in the characteristic style and traditions of color. For each direction are different colors, and experts recommend not to deviate from the use of certain shades to achieve a more complete similarity with the original interiors.
The right combination of colors in the projects of professional designers allows you to transform the interior into an attractive and harmonious visually perceived. The main tool they use in their work at the initial stage is the color circle.
Distribution of the palette in a colour circle: the principle of construction and choice of successful combinations
Conditionally, the shades of the spectrum visible to humans tried to graphically in the form of a table, and later – a circular diagram of color combinations in the interior and design, which is used now. As a result of different theoretical approaches, several variants of circles have reached our days.
Colors of adjacent cells at mixing will give shade of adjacent peripheral sector. It is accepted also division of the parties of colour circle on conditional temperature of perception of colour, and in the middle between warm and cold shades there are neutral, at application in interior registration counterbalancing both categories.
Which colours combine best in an interior?
There are several approaches to combining colors in an interior, which are actively used by designers. It should be noted at once that these schemes are poorly compatible with each other, so it is desirable to stop at one of them to make the design look attractive.
- The universal combination includes a combination of quiet shades. White, beige, grey combine with other colors to create a classic variant of interior design, which is applicable regardless of time and fashion. Beautiful and stylish against this background will look any furniture, it is appropriate to use different types of floor coverings.
- The combination of related shades, located in adjacent cells of the color circle, is a simple but natural and in its own original solution, acceptable both in professional design developments, and in the independent selection of colors for interior decoration.
- The combination of diametrically arranged shades of the color circle, creating the most obvious contrast, try to soften a little. For this purpose take a shade from the cell located near to that which is directly opposite to the chosen basic colour.
Often designers use the triad – the dominance in the interior of three harmonious colors. When used in their pure form, they produce an expressive, bright variant that provides an emotional boost. Less aggressive half-tones on the human psyche make the room more comfortable for a permanent stay.
An interesting variant of interior design, which can be easily embodied independently, is the use of one bright shade, balanced by two neutral. Such a combination of colors can often be found in the photo realized interior design projects.
Combinations of red, grey and beige
- It’s red. Complex color, stimulating physical and mental activity. Sometimes it’s perceived as too aggressive. Indeed, it can increase blood pressure, cause rapid heartbeat and speed up breathing rhythm.
- It’s gray. Neutral colouring favourably replicates bright inclusions and has a beneficial effect on brain function. Visually, a person perceives a room in grey shades as more spacious and cozy. Noble gray is becoming a popular trend among modern designers and is increasingly chosen as a basic shade.
- It’s beige. The calm and natural colour acts soothingly and creates a relaxing atmosphere in the living areas. Beige shades neutralize the aggression of red and create conditions for friendly communication, fruitful work and developing activities in your spare time.
Provence style basic colours
The combination of natural textures and traditional shades of colour in the interiors of the houses of Provence conveys the mood of lightness and dimensionality that characterises the lifestyle of the southern French province.
With a range of light shades, it is easy to recreate the atmosphere of interior decoration, where you can shelter from the tiring summer heat and pleasantly relax, breathing in the scents of the fields and the brackish breeze from the sea.
The shades of the interior echo the colours of local nature, from the blue and blue of the water, the herbaceous and olive shade of the leaves of the groves to the lavender shade that has become a symbol of Provence.
- Blue can be a shade of sea blue or lighter, giving the interior a cool feeling.
- The variations of green are borrowed from the natural environment. Provence, buried in meadow herbs and greenery of olive, pine and cypress groves, traditionally gravitates towards flowers associated with vegetation.
- As if the pastel shades burned in the sun, they emphasize the original colour of the Provencal interiors with exceptional precision. The choice of gentle cream and milk shades will give the room a cosy atmosphere, white – freshness, and shades of pearl grey and ash-pink will favorably dilute the palette.
- Small splashes of bright colours on the background of muted shades can be the final point in the design. Individuality of the interior will be given any elements of decor bright pink, rich turquoise, lemon yellow.